Have you tried to move away from dieting, but in doing so have started to feel out of control? Are you worried about “letting yourself go?” Do you feel like intuitive eating will just never work for you? Listen now for some thoughts on how to move forward.
This episode is brought to you by my FREE video training: Your First 3 Steps Towards Food Peace with PCOS. Get connected now and be the first to get it when it releases in mid-September. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how. Join our Facebook group to get extra support!
Episode’s Key Points:
- Diets cause the chaos, and it’s not your fault that moving away from them is so hard!
- Body positivity doesn’t need to be associated with “letting yourself go” or being overfull! This overfull feeling has to do with DIETING, not body positivity.
- Evelyn Tribole joins to help us tackle these intuitive eating struggles!!
- Dealing with overeating when you first start exploring intuitive eating is a common struggle, and it can definitely be worked through! There’s lots of solutions here.
- The diet industry makes us feel like we’re one bite away from poor health.
- Remember that the process of intuitive eating and making peace with food is one of discovery and curiosity… there is no way to do it right or wrong!
- We must connect with the body and become the expert of what own bodies need when we delve into intuitive eating. Clue into what you’re experiencing in your body, rather than in your mind.
- You can’t make a mistake in intuitive eating! All bumps in the road are a part of the learning process. If you feel overfull, you haven’t done anything wrong! Just explore the experience and discover what is within it.
- Trust the body, rather than pushing prescriptive rules and decisions. Our bodies have been silenced, and intuitive eating gives them a voice!
- Interceptive awareness: the ability to perceive the feelings that arise in the body, both physical and emotional (all emotional feelings have a physical response!). Tapping into these feelings can help you get your needs met.
- How do we move from shame or guilt to curiosity? Pause, and figure out what belief system we believe we’ve violated. Write down the thoughts and rules that we believe we are breaking.
- Belief systems take a while to break down!
- Treat your body as an experiment! Allow intuitive eating to guide you to become an expert of your body again.
- Surround yourself with resources that promote self-kindness!!
- Intuitive eating research is strong. There is a body of evidence that shows intuitive eating is health promoting!
- Intuitive eating is getting more popular in the media… but most main news sites that cover intuitive eating focus on permission to eat, and forget about the rest of the 10 principles. We have to make sure that when people learn about intuitive eating, they learn about what it truly is in its totality!
- When we take away the guilt and judgment around eating, we make room for satisfaction.
- You are NOT alone!
- The steps out of this tug-of-war will be challenging, but they will be worth it.
- Julie Dillon RD blogLink to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Evelyn Tribole’s original Love, Food episode
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #1
- Brene Brown’s work, including her books and her TED talk on shame —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #2
- Body Kindness by Rebecca Scritchfield —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #3
- Evelyn Tribole’s website
- Intuitive Eating’s website
- Eating Disorder Dietitian
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.