Are you someone who has recovered from an eating disorder, but are suddenly experiencing symptoms again? Do you feel like you’re falling down a slippery slope, and recovery is slipping out of your grasp? Are you needing some new tools to pursue a peaceful relationship with food? Listen now for some new ways to experiment with the recovery process.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Recovery is NEVER linear! It’s messy and complicated, and super personal.
- This experience is so common the experiencing symptoms even after recovery is the rule, more than the exception.
- Self-compassion is key for dealing with relapse.
- Sumner Brooks joins to chat about recovery some more!
- Disappointment and shame can make us feel so stuck in eating disorder behaviors and relapse.
- It’s so important to NORMALIZE this struggle! You are not alone, and there are a number of reasons we can experience a return of behaviors.
- Try to react with compassion when you notice the shame and disappointment bubbling up. Recovery will come much quicker with self-compassion!
- If you’re trying to examine the return of a behavior, think about whether or not there are physiological needs not being met (such as hunger), or if there are emotional needs triggering these behaviors meant to soothe and cope.
- Be aware if medications (such as birth control, SSRIs) or other environmental changes are potentially impacting your mood and contributing to the return of these behaviors!
- Nothing about recovery or relapse is black or white… figuring out where to go next is a journey!!
- What are your needs?? Are they being met?? Explore this!
- Be CURIOUS about this experience! It’s an important part of finding what you need to change.
- Even the slip ups are a part of moving forward. Acknowledge that you may feel like you’ve screwed it all up, but believe that it isn’t true!
- Spiral UP rather than out!!
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- EDRDProSymposium Sign up here!
- Savvy Girl, A Guide to Eating by Brittany Deal and Sumner Brooks —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition
- Sumner’s Instagram and main website
- Eating Disorder Dietitians
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.