Are you worried about your ability to raise a normal eater, when maybe you’ve never been one yourself? Do you worry about raising children in larger bodies because you fear they will live a life filled with eating issues and judgment? Listen now for some suggestions for navigating this difficult part of the food peace journey.
This episode is brought to you by my PCOS summer series: Empowering Your PCOS Journey. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how. This series and our Facebook group will be with you every step of the way.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Being in a larger body in this world is HARD. From clothing choices to fitting in chairs, fat bodies face oppression EVERY day.
- It IS possible to prepare children for this fatphobic world by telling them that you love them at ANY size.
- Leslie Schilling joins to talk solutions!
- Our culture is one of diet culture, and so it’s not uncommon to have these fears when thinking about having children.
- Understanding our own development around food is a HUGE step in learning how to raise children with a healthy relationship with food.
- Sometimes we have to recognize that the way we were raised was super disordered!
- Use your nutrition intuition.
- Be ASSERTIVE about the way you raise your children.
- Remember that you are your child’s protector! It’s a parent’s responsibility to teach body peace, rather than body hate, and to stand up against other adults who perpetuate body shame.
- Honesty builds bridges.
- It’s not our job to change other people’s minds, but it IS our job to be assertive about our own safe spaces.
- Values upheld by the family help a child to be self-protective.
- Make sure your kid knows that THEY are in charge of their own body.
- Kids have to be able to FAIL. As long as they have a safe home to come back to, we can’t protect them from all of diet culture all of the time
- Baby-led weaning: use family food to wean kids off of the bottle.
- We are born as experts of our own body!
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Intuitive Eating, 3rd ed. by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- “Helping Your Large Child Thrive in a Fat-Phobic World” by Julie Duffy Dillon
- Born to Eat: Whole, Healthy Foods from Baby’s First Bite by Leslie Schilling and Wendy Jo Peterson —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #1
- Dr. Katja Rowell, The Feeding Doctor
- 10 Ways Born to Eat Parents Handout excerpt from Born to Eat —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #2
- Leslie’s Instagram, website, and book website
- Eating Disorder Dietitian
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.