Are the people around you supportive of your food peace journey? Have you found a better way with intuitive eating, but are coming up against a roadblock with family and friends? Listen now for some tips on how to approach this part of the food peace journey.
This episode is brought to you by my online course, Your Step-by-Step Guide to PCOS and Food Peace. Sign up now to get on the waitlist for the next enrollment period in January 2018, and receive my FREE road map: Your First 3 Steps Toward Food Peace with PCOS. You CAN make peace with food even with PCOS and I want to show you how.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Making peace with food is RADICAL! It’s truly a political act, and this can cause issues within our family relationships.
- Health is about FLEXIBILITY!!
- Dr. Carolyn Ross joins us to talk about the family, and how to manage family members who try to be our food police.
- Food rules contribute to the development of eating disorders, especially if there’s a perceived “weight problem.”
- Make sure not to go too long without eating throughout the day, and add some movement into your life to enhance how your body feels!
- Intercept questions about your food choices and your body size by making some healthy boundaries. Let them know you’re working on things with a doctor or dietitian, and leave it at that.
- You’re allowed to be angry! Feel your feelings, and don’t feel like you have to push them down to appease family members.
- Remember, many of us struggle with internalized fatphobia. Be sure to address this with a treatment provider so that you can work through it!
- Our weight research is super biased!! You can be healthy at any size… it depends on our BEHAVIORS, not our weight.
- Research shows that the healthiest weight you can be is “slightly overweight!!”
- The medical profession changes slowly and shifts in the medical community take time. The status quo will change eventually!
- Permission promotes health, and shame only brings us down.
- Julie Dillon RD blog
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- The Dance of Anger by Harriet Lerner
- The Food Addiction Recovery Workbook by Dr. Carolyn Ross —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #1
- Find Dr. Carolyn Ross’ online coaching program —> This week’s Food Peace Syllabus addition #2
- Eating Disorder Dietitian
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.