Have you ever been someone who sneak eats, or eats other people’s food as a way to disguise your own food patterns? Do you identify as a binge eater who has battled the restrict-binge cycle your whole life? Does food feel like a vice, rather than a wonderful tool of connection and nourishment? Listen now for some solutions to these challenges.
From our sponsor: Green Mountain at Fox Run Specialized Track for College-Aged Women
Dieting trends. Endless images of ‘perfect bodies’. Find a permanent solution to struggles with food, weight and body at Green Mountain at Fox Run. Green Mountain is hosting weekly programs between May 14 and August 26 tailored to the needs of women between ages 18 and 25. Your whole life is ahead of you, and you deserve to live it happily and in good health. Visit https://goo.gl/2r8B2W for more information.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Around age five or six, all children go through “Adiposity Rebound.” This usually means that developmentally, children will gain weight to prepare for growth in the next few years. Our bodies as kids change so drastically all the time!
- We live in a fat phobic society!! It’s a disgusting reality, but we live in a culture that is not accepting of larger bodies.
- If an adolescent in your life comes to you and says they want to lose weight, go on a diet, or start an exercise regimen, DO NOT offer to go on it with them! This sends the message that their body needs fixing. Instead, let them know that you will love them no matter what, unconditionally.
- Every BINGE starts with RESTRICTION!!
- There are so many people who understand this struggle, feel shame around their eating behaviors, and experience the tug of war of bingeing and restricting.
- Stop the food fight and take a rest!
- Dieting and restriction are the SAME THINGS!!
- The more we restrict and the more we sit in shame, the more we binge.
- There is a function of binge eating disorder! Bingeing can help us to disconnect from discomfort.
- Recovery from binge eating disorder takes, on average, six to seven years. Do so with the help of an eating disorder dietitian and a whole team of experts!
- Eating disorders are complicated because they include elements of mental health along with cultural issues of size acceptance.
- We live in a world that hasn’t recovered from its own eating disorder yet!!
- Counseling and therapy are KEY elements to recovery!
- Work with a counselor and a dietitian together to help you along your journey and speed up your recovery process.
- You’re worth recovery!!
- Shame is a HUGE weight on our shoulders… remove it with the help of professionals!
- You CAN find balance and food peace!!
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Intuitive Eating Audiobook —> This week’s Food Syllabus addition #1
- Evelyn Tribole’s episode of the Love, Food Podcast
- Life. Unrestricted —> This week’s Food Syllabus addition #2
- Food Psych Podcast —> This week’s Food Syllabus addition #3
- Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance by Rosie Molinary —> This week’s Food Syllabus addition #4
- Eating Disorder Dietitians
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.
Click here to leave me a review in iTunes and subscribe. This type of kindness helps the show continue!
Thank you for listening to the Love, Food series. Give me feedback via Twitter @EatingPermitRD.
This episode is sponsored by my friends at Green Mountain at Fox Run.
Binge & Emotional Eating Weekend Intensive
The Women’s Center for Binge & Emotional Eating is offering its foundational one-week Pathway™ program in an intensive weekend format. Participants will explore personal barriers and how to counter them with evidence-based strategies to prevent eating in response to stress and emotions. Dates are scheduled monthly throughout 2017 although capacity is limited, so visit https://goo.gl/xFh2up for more information.
There’s only ONE premier retreat for women who struggle with eating and weight.
It’s time to shine the light on yourself and make YOURSELF the priority. Here at Green Mountain at Fox Run, we’re all about embracing and supporting yourself through self-care. Through powerful tools such as mindfulness techniques, stress management skills, and movement that is customized to your body and fitness level, you’ll learn to practice self-care in your daily life. Visit https://goo.gl/si9wZi for more information.
Green Mountain at Fox Run’s Binge Eating White Paper – Myths, Truths and Treatments
Download Green Mountain’s free whitepaper to understand Binge Eating Disorder, the most common eating disorder. Explore the symptoms of and treatment for BED, assess where weight loss fits in, and gain clarity on common myths. Visit https://goo.gl/UGpF78 for more information.