Have you numbed out using emotional eating or binge eating yet now finding ways to stop? Sounds great, right?!? Not so fast: How do you tolerate these tough emotions? Will they ever end? Have you found alternatives to emotional eating, but are now dealing with confronting these emotions for the first time without the ability to use food as a buffer? Listen now for some tips on handling this part of the food peace journey.
This episode is brought to you by Pursuing Private Practice Masterclass. Ready to start doing things your way and kiss the corporate world goodbye? Details here and remember the super secret discount code BOSS for 10% off.
Episode’s Key Points:
- Intuitive Eating: a way of experiencing food WITHOUT food rules… following your inner wisdom to determine what and how much to eat.
- Our relationship with food MIRRORS how we relate to the world!
- Intuitive eating will lead to experiencing a more intuitive life in ALL regards.
- Learning how to eat intuitively in response to hunger and fullness cues, learning to tolerate emotions without food, and learning how to type on the computer without looking at the keys are all similar experiences!! (Listen for the full metaphor… it makes sense, I promise!) It all may feel a bit obsessive at first, or carry a sense of hyper-awareness… but you’re learning a new skill, and that’s okay! It will calm down and feel more natural eventually.
- Do we always need to feel all of our feelings?? Yes and no.
- Manage your emotions like you’re making holes in a volcano! Find ways to release before you explode. Work with a therapist or counselor to help you find ways to release your emotions that work for you.
- We must acknowledge and honor the trauma we’ve experienced! Work with a therapist to process this trauma.
- Sometimes being aware ALL of the time of our hard emotions can be exhausting! Sometimes we have to distract ourselves from our emotions so that we can get things done. Just don’t let them build up or rely on these distraction techniques too heavily!
- Link to subscribe to the weekly FREE Food Peace Newsletter. It is sent out every Tuesday morning and no spam EVER. By signing up, I will also send you Love Food’s Season 1’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- Start your private practice! Click here and use code BOSS to get 10% off Jennifer McGurk’s Pursuing Private Practice Masterclass!!
- Love, Food Podcast Episode 10 with Jennifer McGurk
- Intuitive Eating and the Intuitive Eating Workbook by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- Love, Food Podcast Episode 62 with Evelyn Tribole
- Eating Disorder Dietitians
- Julie Dillon RD blog
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to LoveFoodPodcast@gmail.com.